Monday, August 25, 2008

ARC-The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second by Drew Ferguson

Rating:

Tall, gangly and big-eared, he could be the poster boy for teenage geeks. An embarrassment to his parents (he's not to crazy about them, either), Charlie is a virtual untouchable at his school, where humiliation is practically an extra curricular activity. Charlie has tried to fit in, but all of his efforts fall on a glorious, monumental scale. He plays soccer--mainly to escape his home life--but isn't accepted by his teammates who basically ignore him on the field. He still confuses the accelerator with the brake pedal and has failed his driving exam six times. He can't work on his college application essay without writing a searing tell-all. But what's freaking Charlie out the most is that while his hormones are raging and his peers are pairing off, he remains alone with his fantasies.

But all of this is about to change when a new guy at school begins to liven things up on the soccer team--and in Charlie's life. For the first time in his seventeen years, Charlie will learn how it feels to be a star, at least off the field. But Charlie discovers that even cool guys have problems as he embarks on an unforgettable, risk-filled journey from which there is no turning back....

This book was really good. It's basically a queer love story with twists and turns. It was so different then anything I have ever read, completely original. Which I like. I liked the characters, all of them were really realistic. I liked that Charlie was a geek, but Ferguson didn't overdo it. I mean he was really an invisible jock who likes guys. I think Ferguson captured teenagers just right.

I liked the sarcasm in Ferguson's writing. It was funny to read with. The way the book was formatted was interesting too, journal entries. He has a very authentic voice. This book is told with attitude and is honest, smart, and humorous. You will love Charlie and his partner Rob, well not all the time. I thought the ending was very true to reality. Overall I really liked this book and am excited to find out what Drew Ferguson has for us next, this is a great debut novel and i recommend it. Mature content. This book is to be released from Kensington August 26th, 2008.

*Thanks Drew for sending me your book!

4 comments:

  1. Aww, Kelsey! Thanks so much for the review. Glad you liked the book.

    All the best,
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I'm glad you liked the book. I did as well. :-)

    Ohhh it's coming out tomorrow!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that book sounds really good! I'm definitely going to read it when it comes out!
    nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)