Saturday, August 2, 2008

Read My Lips by Teri Brown

Popularity is as easy as a good secret.

Serena just wants to fly under the radar at her new school. But Serena is deaf, and she can read lips really well-even across the busy cafeteria. So when the popular girls discover her talent, there's no turning back.

From skater chick to cookie-cutter prep, Serena's identity has done a 180...almost. She still wants to date Miller, the school rebel, and she's not ready to trade her hoodies for pink tees just yet. But she is rising through the ranks in the school's most exclusive clique.

With each new secret she uncovers, Serena feels pressure to find out more. Reading lips has always been her greatest talent, but now Serena just feels like a gigantic snoop...

This is probably the best storyline for a young adult novel I have read in a long time. I loved the idea of reading inside of a deaf girls mind. It was so different. I loved the characters. They were so unparalelled. I felt all the characters were so a like in there own unique way. You really just loved all the characters, well besides one person (I won't tell you who!), they were just great. The feeling of the novel was was eminent.

The only problem I really had with this novel was in the beginning Serena always acted sorry for herself and the dialogue for herself felt a bit wrong. But that quickly dispersed. But overall I really liked this novel, everything was just . . . well, awesome. I would recommend this novel.

~Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. Great review! Also, I've nominated you for the weblog award again, just because you're so awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)