Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gone by Michael Grant

In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

Okay, I just want to say how much I absolutely LOVED this book straight away, okay. I LOVED this book! It's was so incredible! Okay, now, the beginning of the novel was amazing, I read the first two sentences and then two words below that, that created two separated paragraphs and I was HOOKED. I read this five hundred sixty page book in a day. The action was awesome. The movement and pace of the book were so insanely perfect. The plot? The BEST. This book is like at the top of the ladder of awesomeness. The characters were flawed perfectly so. The first book in this new GONE series, was so incredible.

Michael Grant created a world in a world in a world (Okay that might sound cheesy, but he seriously did. He created a world in writing, and in the writing a world on the actual world.) I loved how Grant kept changing P.O.V.'s through various people. The writing was flawed, I have always disliked the writing style but it's so common that I'm getting used to it, but I loved the feeling and emotion that changed through every person, identifying them easily. That was very well done. And the book being written in that style is probably the only thing I really disliked about this novel, but I barely disliked it because it worked pretty well and, even so, the awesomeness of the rest of the novel really overshadows that itty bitty part so it's really not even there.

The storyline Grant created was well thought out and very much completed. (There were even two maps in the beginning of the book!) I loved how he went straight into the problem and how it was taken in charge straight up. I had no idea where the story was going and was on the very edge of my bed the entire time. I swear, I was aching inside for the first three hundred pages waiting to find out how it would go down. But then I had no clue that there was even going to be a sequel, much less a full-blown series. So it was awesome to hear that.

If you haven't read this book, well then what are you waiting for? I cannot wait until next summer when the series continues with the next book, Hunger. I mean, I have to wait one year! That is one book that I will pre-order as soon as I can pre-order. So, yeah, this book, overall, was completely amazing, and you should definitely read it. And if anybody reading this has already read this book and posted a review, can you tell me, I would really love to hear what everybody else thought of this.

Now, here is a quote in the book that I wanted to share, it won't give anything away, it just basically a comment that I thought was hilarious:

"Is it the aliens?"

"I think if it was aliens, we'd be seeing spaceships, not BMWs."

Rating:





P.S.---I'll be having my ratings at the bottom of the reviews now, so they can all be in one straight line. Just so you know.

6 comments:

  1. GIRL!! i totally agree! i was hooked on this book. i think it is better than the TWILIGHT SERIES. yeah! i said it. sue me. i am shaking with anxiety with the next book. i was dissapointed when i finished the book because i thought it was one book but then it showed Caine talking to the Darkness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am physed!!!!!!!!! did you know it's a movie?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? IT IS!!!!! i am going to get it ASAP!!!!!! i love love LOVE this book. and i love/hate Drake! i dont know why but i like his character. *shrug* and i love Sam!!!! i think the guy on the cover is so hawt. I cant wait fo rthe sequek i am so going to pre-order it to!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this book sounds amazing! It kinda reminds me of a similar situation where all the grown-ups disappeared, I think it was a tv show. I love the alternating P.O.V.s in books! Do you know how many books there is going to be in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book was 500+ pages?

    -YA Book Realm, were you talking about the tv show The Tribe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this novel was just fantastic!! i was sad when i didnt get an ARC, but then i borrowed one from my friend, and i'm so glad i did!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. for you, the book MASTER (:, to say this was so amazing, IM BUYING IT. wow. what a great review!!! thanks for the suggestion. this is going on the top of my wish list (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah [The Book Muncher] I know that TV show too! The Tribe, where everyone over 18 dies of this virus (so watch out if your eighteenth is coming up) and the whole world is pretty much chaos because there is only kids and teens left.

    This looks just like it! Very awesome, I'll give it a try...

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)