Sunday, August 10, 2008

Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn

After being kicked out of a fancy New England boarding school, Cyd Charisse is back home in San Francisco with her parents, Sid and Nancy, in a household that drives her crazy. Lucky for Cyd, she's always had Gingerbread, her childhood rag doll and confidante. After Cyd tests her parents' permissiveness, she is grounded in Alcatraz (as Cyd calls her room). But when her incarceration proves too painful for the whole family, Cyd's parents decide to send her to New York to meet her biological father and his family, whom Cyd has always longed to know. Summer in the city is not what Cyd Charisse expects - and Cyd isn't what her newfound family expects, either.

Wow, this novel was hilarious. Cyd Charisse was an incredible funny anti-heroine. Her attitude was imperfect and very humorous. She had a smart attitude and it was refreshingly nice to read from. The storyline is very original and short, but flawlessly done. I had an astoundingly nice time reading this flawed novel.

Rachel Cohn's writing is impeccable. She writes with readiness that is new and fun. I couldn't wish for a better written book. Her characters feel complete and real. She is an amazing writer when creating characters and bringing them into the story. I can't wait to read Shrimp, which is the next novel in this series. Which I hope to get at the library this week.

~Kelsey

2 comments:

  1. nice review. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book!
    I started Shrimp last month but wasn't in the mood for it. I brought it back to the library and will take it out again when I am in the right head space. Rachel Cohn writes wonderfully.

    Cat
    beyondbooks.wordpress.com
    beyondelsewhere.ca

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)