Tuesday, August 12, 2008

How Not To Be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler

Maggie Dempsey is tired of moving all over the country. Her parents are second-generation hippies who uproot her every year or so to move to a new city. When Maggie was younger, she thought it was fun and adventurous. Now that she’s a teenager, she hates it. When she moved after her freshman year, she left behind good friends, a great school, and a real feeling of belonging. When she moved her sophomore year, she left behind a boyfriend, too. Now that they’ve moved to Austin, she knows better. She’s not going to make friends. She’s not going to fit in. Anything to prevent her from liking this new place and them from liking her. Only . . . things don’t go exactly as planned.

Just like Ziegler's debut novel, Alpha Dog, I highly enjoyed this novel also. The loved the characters in this novel, especially Maggie's parents, Rosie and Les, they were hilarious. But I felt like I could relate to Maggie mentally. I have moved around a lot also with my dad used to being in the military, it was a given. So I always had to move from my friends too and have those horrific first days of school that give me goosebumps. So that a reason I really liked the novel, but also pretty much because Ziegler's writing is fabulous.

The whole idea that goes into Maggie's mind is hilarious, she tries to be weird, but instead stands out, it's dumb luck. And hilarious. I had fun reading this novel, and I suggest you read it too. It's a great story, very humorous. I can't wait to find out what Ziegler has in store for us next.

~Kelsey

4 comments:

  1. this book was SOOO funny!! and way enjoyable to read. it's definitely one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gonna have to read this book! *sigh* now to find a way to obtain it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book too. It was so funny and a great tale about the perks of not blending in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way about it. I can't wait to read more of this author's work.

    And i like your new site design!

    Kayla (Midnight Twilight)

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)