Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fly On The Wall by E. Lockhart

Rating:

At the Manhattan School for Art and Music, where everyone is “different” and everyone is “special,” Gretchen Yee feels ordinary. She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man, so she won’t have to talk to anyone; who has a crush on Titus but won’t do anything about it; who has no one to hang out with when her best (and only real) friend Katya is busy.
One day, Gretchen wishes that she could be a fly on the wall in the boys’ locker room–just to learn more about guys. What are they really like? What do they really talk about? Are they really cretins most of the time?
Fly on the Wall is the story of how that wish comes true.

Wow, this story was so different, but amazing. I've heard some iffy things about it. But I, personally, really loved it. I thought it seem realistic, even though it really isn't. The way E. Lockhart makes her a fly and the way she is when she is one, just seems real. It's almost like she was using a hidden camera and watching it in her room then being an actual 'fly on the wall'. (Isn't it funny that I'm trying to kill an annoying fly right now? Yeah, I guess not. Hehe.)

Gretchen is a very humorous personality. (Got him! The fly, I mean.) I had fun going along the story with her. The writing was good. This is only my second book by her, not including How To Be Bad, that I've read and I'm beginning to really like her writing. She has sarcasm, humor, and deep thoughts in her writing and it's really pretty cool. The only downside to her writing is the characters. There great and all, but I just don't feel that there complete. But otherwise, this novel was a very short, fun, light reading that I will probably read again. I recommend it.

~Kelsey

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the review. :)
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are like all the reasons i love lockhart's writing :D

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)