Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bad Girls Club by Judy Gregerson

Destiny doesn't tell her friends what goes on at home. Neither does her little sister. In fact, her little sister doesn't talk at all anymore.

Destiny has a secret. She’s been told not to tell anyone what happened to her, her little sister, and her mother at Crater Lake. Or that her mother is mentally ill and hits her little sister.

But the secret is killing her and every day she remembers the bad thing she did at Crater Lake. Her boyfriend, Joshua, and best friend, Chloe, don’t understand. When she pulls away from them, and refuses to leave the house, they don’t realize that she’s trying to fix the mistake she made. They only know that she’s slipping away.


But trying to hold her family together doesn’t work. Destiny feels a darkness in the house and when Mom gets out of the psychiatric hospital, it takes over. First it attacks her little sister, and then it comes for her.


Destiny has to choose whether to expose the lies and the darkness or tell the truth about what happened at Crater Lake.


Can the truth really set her free? Or will she remain what her mother has always called her--a bad girl?


Oh my, this novel was intense. Very, very intense. It's felt so real. Like a dream. I really wanted to read it in one sitting, but I just couldn't. It was so hard, I felt like I was suffocating in Destiny's rough, rough world. It was so surreal. Destiny was so troubled, her family was a mess. Your heart cannot ache for her and Cassidy. It was so terribly real. There are tons of kids around they world you live like Destiny and Cassidy do. The worse thing about this novel is that I learned that the author, Miss Judy Gregerson, had been a parentified child just like Destiny was. Which is where you take care of your mentally ill parent, instead of you parents taking care of the kids. These children are more loyal to there parents then they are to kids who don't grow up in abusive homes. It's horrible to think that there are children who grow up like this. I give you kudos Judy Gregerson for sharing this with us.

Ms. Gregerson's writing is wonderful. She writes with such ease in it, it's very poetic. It caught me in and sucked me up until I finished the hard story. I am still thinking hard about it right now and I doubt I will stop thinking about it before I fall asleep tonight. This is a story that you cannot miss. But be warned: It's a rough journey. But once you start you won't be able to stop. I really recommend this.

~Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)