Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Bookshelf Meme

So I saw this in the blogosphere lately and since I didn't have a IMM post today, so I went in search of this and decided to do it!

Tell me about the book that has been on your shelves the longest...


The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares I got in . . . I think I'll say March 2005. I heard about the movie, which looked amazing, and I found out it was a book. I lived in California then and my dad and I were going to Minnesota to be apart of my aunts wedding on April 2, 2005. So, I think it was a few nights before my family and I stopped at a bookshelf and I wanted to get this book for the plane ride.

Keep in mind that I wasn't into reading that much like I am now. I was in fourth grade actually. I actually didn't finish this book on the trip. After fourth grade ended, I went on a trip with my best friend to Palo Alto and San Francisco for a little friendship roadtrip before she moved up there for fifth grade. I was staying in her grandparents house and they required and hour of silence to read, nap, whatever a day, so I read it then too because I forgot about it after the trip to Minnesota. I didn't finish it then either though. I finished it in, I would guess October of that year, after I saw the movie, even though my mom said I couldn't see the movie until I read the book. Anyway, at the end of September, I moved to Minnesota and started fifth grade again there. We had to read a book in that class, and I finally finished it then. But by this time, half of the back cover was chewed of by my dog, and the binding was creased and the covers bent.

I've had it every since, and it's still really beat up.

Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (i.e. a person, a place, a time, etc.)...

Oh, I don't know. I'd have to say Avalon High by Meg Cabot. It was the summer of 2007. My dad was working, my brother back in California with my grandparents, and it was just my mom and I. We were supposed to be packing up to move up from central Minnesota to northern Minnesota in July. I was really bored. We lived about fifteen minutes from any town, I couldn't drive, I didn't have a very good computer and I wasn't obsesses with the internet as I am now. So one day we went into a Wal-Mart and my mom bought be Avalon High by Meg Cabot, The Clique by Lisi Harrison and The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I didn't have much books then, and I was interested in reading, but I still didn't know much about books and authors, but I read a lot that year. I read Avalon High and I remember thinking that it was the best book I have ever read. I didn't have much books so I pretty much reread all my books and I remember that that first month of the summer, I think I reread this book at least five times. I loved it so much.

Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used book store, prize, etc.)...

Well, I haven't recieved books in a very interesting way, ever. But for this I guess I'll have to say The Elite by Jennifer Banash. It was my first ever review copy from an author, or publisher, whatever. It was my first book I recieved from the blog in June this past summer. I was so excited. I don't think I'd ever give it away.

Tell me about the most recent addition to your shelves...

I got Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee from Suzanne herself. It looks really good. I already said the story about it in last weeks IMM post and I'm too lazy to repeat myself.

Tell me about a book that has been with you to the most places...

Truly? It's the same thing as in question one. I got it in a Clovis, CA bookstore, It went to a ton of places in central Minnesota with me, including Minneapolis. It went on a roadtrip from central Cali to Palo Alto California and back, then back to central Minnesota where it stayed for awhile and up here to the Minnesota and Canadian border. Lot's of places.

Tell me about a bonus book that doesn't fit any of the above questions...

I don't really know what book to use, so I guess I'll tell you how I aquired my first signed book. It's How To Be Bad by E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, and Lauren Myracle. I won it the 'Dream Team' Contest Em at Em's Bookshelf was holding during this past summer. I was shocked to see that it was actually signed by Sarah Mlynowski! It says 'Sarah M' with a little heart. I was ecstatic to get my first signed book. That one is followed by many others. Though I have never met an author in real life.

The Rules

1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.

I'm not going to tag anyone but Carol! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, i really liked the sisterhood series! Poor book has been throuhg a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the sisterhood series too. Its a cute story.

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)