Monday, July 13, 2009

Fairest of Them All by Jan Blazanin

Title: Fairest of Them All
Author: Jan Blazanin
Publisher: MTV Books
Reading Level: Young Adult, 12+
Publication Date: April 21, 2009
Pages: 272
My Edition:
ARC
Amazon Page

Rating: B-
Plot - 16/20
Characters - 15/20
Writing - 16/20
Originality - 18/20
Entertainment - 8/10
Recommendation - 7/10
Total: 80/100

Summary:
If life were a fairy tale, Oribella Bettencourt would have a "happily ever after" kind of future ahead of her. A Hollywood producer has come to Des Moines in search of a perfectly modern Princess Rapunzel, and Ori -- a model, dancer, and star of the beauty pageant circuit -- lands the part. And why shouldn't she? With her hardworking, self-sacrifi cing mother guiding her career, Ori is stunning, dedicated, poised...and then there's her hair. Breathtakingly lustrous blond hair that sets her apart from all the other girls at school. So what if she doesn't have any friends her age, or anyone to talk to other than her mother? She's on the verge of having everything she's ever dreamed of.

But in this fairy tale, the beautiful princess wakes up to her worst nightmare -- when almost overnight, Ori begins to lose her hair....

Review:
I know everyone has said this, but I haven't so I want to say it again. MTV novels that I read have all been good, so I was expecting something to come from this novel, and though it wasn't one of the best I've read, it was still really good.

I praise Jan for writing about a disease that probably has not been written fictitiously yet. It was interesting disease to read about and I learned a lot about it and what it could do to someone. So it was nice to read something different.

Though the writing and the characters were brilliant. The book was interesting and fun. The writing was a bit bland and the characters didn't seem fully developed, but the emotions by the fact that Ori was losing her hair were real. I felt those.

This novel was original, different and it was just a good read. I recommend it for a quick, nothing deep, and not to cheerful or sappy read.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm Well this may not me my kind of book, but im glad you like it!

    PS; contest at my blog... C.H.E.C.K. I.T. O.U.T

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)