Sunday, August 24, 2008

House of Dance by Beth Kephart

Rating:

Rosie and her mother coexist in the same house as near strangers. Since Rosie's father abandoned them years ago, her mother has accomplished her own disappearing act, spending more time with her boss than with Rosie. Now faced with losing her grandfather too, Rosie begins to visit him every day, traveling across town to his house, where she helps him place the things that matter most to him "In Trust." As Rosie learns her grandfather's story, she discovers the role music and motion have played in it. But like colors, memories fade. When Rosie stumbles into the House of Dance, she finally finds a way to restore the source of her grandfather's greatest joy.

If you thought Undercover was amazing, then this was phenomenal, marvelous. I could go on forever. It's such an incredible story. With Undercover, I think the story got wrapped up a bit much with the beautiful poetic writing, but here the idyllic writing and the rhythmic story are fifty-fifty. Beth Kephart's writing is the most pulchritudinous I have ever seen, read, whatever. I think House of Dance is such a great loving story, that will never be forgotten. I love how there is always a little hint of romance in her books too, which is my favorite type of story. Romance, I mean.

The story was perfectly paced. A very calm feeling when reading Beth's stories. I *heart* every bit of this story. I absolutely loved Rosie and Granddad. Everything about this novel was just so extraordinary. You can't picture a better novel. One last thing I really loved was the setting. The town the novel was placed in was so country, peaceful, wonderful. It reminds me of my small town, well the downtown part, well, maybe twenty-five years ago.

I cannot wait to find out what Beth Kephart has in store for us next!

5 comments:

  1. looks good (though i have not read Undercover). i should probably read both :D now that i think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read undercover yet either, but it's on my TBR pile! =D
    Awesome review- I really want to read this now, lol!

    ~Lucy D =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey —

    How cool of you to post this review!

    Thank you for that. Every book teaches an author how to write the next book better; I learned from UNDERCOVER, and I'm so grateful that you noticed.

    Thank you,

    Beth
    www.beth-kephart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I love this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo your sentiments--this book is pure delight!

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)