Sunday, June 8, 2008

How To Be Bad by Lockhart, Mlynowski, and Myracle

Three girls who couldn't be more different have one goal in mind: to get the heck out of Dodge. Well, Niceville, Florida, actually. But it might as well be called Nowheresville. Vicks is the wild-child fry cook whose boyfriend left for college and isn't returning any of her calls; Mel, the good girl in expensive jeans who just wants everyone to like her; and Jesse, the trailer-dwelling human morality meter who's discovered a life-altering secret - Each has her own reason for climbing into Jesse's mom's beat-up station wagon and hitting the highway for a weekend trip, whether she knows it or not. Armed only with Vicks's ancient, battered copy of a guidebook called Fantastical Florida, a map Jesse picked up with her dwindling funds, and Mel's mom's credit card, they're Miami bound. Hearts will be broken, friendships will be tested, and a ridiculously hot stranger could change the course of everything. And if they don't kill each other first, Vicks, Mel and Jesse will not only have a road trip to remember, they'll have friends for life.

I haven't read any books by E. Lockhart or Lauren Myracle and have only read one adult book by Sarah Mlynowski. I honestly didn't know there writing style or how different they were. I don't much care for rotating chapters but in this book, it worked.

I wasn't sure were this book was heading throughout the book, there was so many twists and turns it was hard but absolutely fun to follow. I adored reading this book.

I loved how different Jesse, Vicks, and Mel were and where they came from. Jesse was the trailer park girl with the looks. Vicks was the youngest in an almost-all-boy family, she was the toughest. Mel was the sweet and rich girl who just wanted to fit in. The beginning Jesse detested Mel, Vicks felt weird around her suddenly strange best friend and didn't know why, and Mel just was trying to be liked by both. In the end...well you'll have to wait and see.

I have a feeling that Sarah was Mel, because in one book of hers I started reading, the setting was in Montreal, where Mel was. So I figured Mel=Sarah, now the other two, I had now idea but my guesstimate is that Lauren is Jesse and E. Lockhart is Vicks, thats my guess. Anybody know?

I recommend this read, especially for summer, It's perfect. The ending was closed, but it wasn't closed tight enough, I don't know? Maybe we can expect a sequel in the future?

Read on!

Kelsey

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book! I've heard so many good things about it :D nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am WAY excited to read this book, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too! I think it says in the back of the book who wrote what chapter. If not, check out their website. I can't remember but I know it wasn't what I was expecting. I think Lauren wrote Jesse but maybe not?

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)