Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Geek High by Piper Banks

At this school, everyone's a geek. And Miranda Bloom still

can't fit in...

Miranda is a math genius with divorced parents, an evil stepmother, and no boyfriend in sight. She can't even fit in with the other geeks at the Nottingham Independent School for Gifted Students (a.k.a. "Geek High") because they have talents that are actually useful.

Miranda, on the other hand, is known as "The Human Calculator," which doesn't amount to much when people have, you know, their own calculators.

Then Miranda gets stuck planning the school's Snowflake Gala. And as she struggles to find a date and drum up some school spirit at Geek High, she finds that who you are means more than where you fit in.

When I first started this book, I didn't know what to expect, I thought the books sounded a bit silly to me. But as I was reading the first page, the writing really caught me. Miss Banks is a really talented, funny, and descriptive writer. Her characters were neat and cool. I had a ton of fun reader this book.

The plot was still a bit inane to me, but it was a quick and fun read. The thought of being in a school with such talented people is absurd but interesting. Miranda was a cynical and ironic and glee person that I liked reader with. Her attitude is a bit immature, I have to say. Actually all her characters seemed a bit immature for what they really are.

Piper Banks does really well at description of her characters and the scenery. Her sequel to Geek High, Geek Abroad, just came out this past May, I plan on getting my hands on it when I can, I suggest you do the same.

Read On!

Kelsey

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I had this book. But before I ever read it, I let my friend borrow it, and she never gave it back =[

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)