Thursday, August 13, 2009

Memoirs

So, I've read a few memoirs, some being, Marley and Me and Three Little Words and I really liked them, actually if you remember back to about Christmas last year when I review Marley and Me I gave it an A+, my only A+ that I have every given on this blog if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, I've been thinking that I would love to read some more memoirs. Not like a celebrity memoir or anything. But something with strong emotions and deals with some issues. I think because reading about some stuff as a memoir it just changes the level of realness for me. That sounded kind of silly. What I mean is that, their are fiction books out there that deal with the same issues in memoirs. But I think because we know they are fiction, that they aren't as bad, but when you read a memoir, it just changes what you think of the subject because we know it is real.

So, anyways, do any of you read memoirs? Can any of you recommend some really good memoirs. I've been interested in reading Columbine by Dave Cullen but I don't know where to get it since I'm saving for something. I can't very well buy it. But I read about it in a magazine and it looks very good. But has anyone read it? Can you recommend that as well as some others?

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if they're really memoirs or if they're technically autobiographies, but I really enjoyed reading Roald Dahl's books about his life. There's Boy - Tales of Childhood and Going Solo. Both are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. It's a real tear-jerker, though, so make sure you have some tissues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading a few memoirs now for my Nonficiton challenege. I love Stephen King's On Writing and recommend it. I haven't read Columbine either, but I hear it's very good.

    Mik @ I Am Nonficton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone I know who has read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells has been blown away by it! (I haven't read it yet, but I have it.) Also, I loved Night by Elie Wiesel (but I have a thing for Holocaust books).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to read Living At The Edge Of The World right now - it's actually really enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly?

    I was just writing about some older memoirs this morning on my blog....

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)