Monday, January 2, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Reading Level: YA, 14+
Publication Date: May 3, 2011
Pages: 487
My Edition: Hardcover
GoodReads

Cover Rating: A-
Book Rating: A+

Plot - 20/20
Characters - 19/20
Writing - 19/20
Originality - 20/20
Entertainment - 10/10
Recommendation - 10/10
Total: 98/100

Summary:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 


During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her. 

Review:
(Prepare for fangirling)
AMAZING! I read this book within 24 hours and it was so amazing, I read it every chance I could get between sleeping, school, and work. 489 pages down within 24 hours. I haven't done that in a really long time.

Honestly, I can't pinpoint anything I disliked about this debut novel. It was brilliant. Every page had utter brilliance on it. I couldn't wait to turn the page to see what was happening yet because I had no idea. 

The characters were fantastic. I loved the main character, Beatice or Tris. And, *swoon* Four was incredible. I'm so glad I found out Four was only a nickname, I like it better then his real name anyhow. The leaders, the initiates. Everybody was unique and different and just so incredibly well-done. 

Tris was such a great character to be in the mind of for the 489 pages of this novel. I loved Tris to pieces. She is everything I wish I could be. 

The writing was fantastic. Just flawless. Veronica Roth is a natural. She's just out of college, it's her debut novel. She has a real gift and I know we'll be seeing a lot from her soon, hopefully!

The whole idea of the novel is something I really wished I had come up with myself. It is so different and so well-done and fantastic. 

DIVERGENT has got to be one of the best dystopian novels out there these days.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you loved this as much as I did! Bring on Insurgent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I seriously love it. I already finished reading it, and I wish my library could have the second book. I also have read another book called Matched by Ally Condie. I think that maybe a lot of people have already read it. Am I falling behind on the good books?

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)