Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Reading Level: 14+
Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Pages: 464
My Edition: Hardcover
Goodreads


Cover Rating: A-
Book Rating: C

Plot - 17/20
Characters - 15/20
Writing - 15/20
Originality - 15/20
Entertainment - 6/10
Recommendation - 7/10
Total: 75/100

Summary:Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.
Review:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was very different from books I have read before. Before I started reading it, I had thought it was going to be something entirely different then it was. Or shall I say, than how it turned out. It was completely unexpected the way the novel finished. I had no idea that this novel was considered a paranormal suspense. I picked it up thinking it was a coming of age novel about a girl coming to terms with the death of her friends and finding love.

Hodkins' debut novel kept me entranced from the beginning. I wanted to know what had happened with Mara's friends, and I couldn't stop reading because of that. But I also couldn't stop reading because I was really intrigued with Mara as a character. The agony she was in when she found out her very best friend was dead felt very real. My only complaint is that I wish we had gotten to know Rachel better. She was Mara's best friend, but because we saw very little of her throughout the novel, I had no sympathy for her. I wished there had been more mentions or even flashbacks of when and how they became friends, the situation that locked them in as best friends, and, actually, a better mention of how and when Claire and Jude came into the picture would have been a lot better in my mind. I definitely would have had more sympathy for these characters. 

Now, Noah. Noah is a very interesting character for me. When he was first introduced I really wasn't feeling anything for him. Then he became more prominent in the story with Mara and I started to fall for his bedhead look. After finishing the novel though, I'm on the fence about him. Something for me just isn't clicking with Noah and the relationship between he and Mara. Which brings me to another point: their relationship. I wasn't a fan of it. As with Noah, it just wasn't going with me like I wished it had. It was insta-love. The present part of the novel took place within weeks of each other and by the novel they were already in love? I just wasn't buying it. Something about it felt...fake, in a way. 

I thought that the writing was decent. It kept me intrigued and I liked Mara as a character and how Hodkins showed the pain Mara was going through. The journey to discovering what Mara found out by the end of the book was very interesting, and there were a lot of points in the plot that I really liked. I just felt like they began really nicely, but weren't fulfilled as well as they could have been. 

With that said, I still enjoyed the book. I liked Mara. I liked the story and the plot, and I'm very excited to see what happens yet. I wasn't expecting what came upon this novel, but that was okay. In a wider sense, I guess the main problem I had with this novel is that it started out great, it just wasn't completed as well as I had hoped. I am hoping that that can be changed with the second book though. We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. This book kept me on edge throughout. It's a winner, no doubt! Michelle Hodkin pulls the reader in as learn about Mara, her new life in South Florida and the creepy things that start happening around her.Recommended for an audience of teens through adults.

    ReplyDelete

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)