Saturday, February 16, 2008

Deadline by Chris Crutcher

Ben Wolf goes in for a routine physical at the beginning of his senior year. He walks out with a year to live and some big decisions to make:

I walked away understanding I have a rare form of whatever the hell it is and without treatment my chances sucked, but with it they still sucked and somehow I knew my chances aren't about living, they're about living well. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone else, but I'm not going out bald and puking. I don't have anything to teach anyone about life, and I'm not brave, but I'd rather be a flash than a slowly cooling ember, so I'll eat healthy food, take supplements, sleep good, and take what the universe gives me.

And I'm turning out for football.


Not only does he decide to forgo treatment -- he decides that he wants his last year to be as normal as possible. So he doesn't tell anyone. His parents, his brother, his coach -- no one.

He sets out to do a lifetime's worth of living in a year. He wants to learn as much as he can, understand as much as he can, get up the nerve to talk to Dallas Suzuki and, yes, go out for football.


This book was really great. Ben Wolf has such a witty personality and such humor. Anybody would love reading his thoughts. I laughed and I cried. This book made you think: "What If?" and really thought about how something big and simple at the same time could change your life in one moment.

You'll follow Ben through his senior year of High School and the changes he makes in his self and how he helps someone you wouldn't expect. Ben tries to find himself in this last year for him to live.


Living in a small town myself I can catch similarities in this book. The way Ben does to make the most of his last year on Earth makes you think that: Yes, your life could change in a moment so make the most of it.


While reading this book I definitely said I would read more of Crutcher's books. I would recommend this book to anyone who is trying to find themselves and basically anyone else. It was a great book. I highly enjoyed it.

Read On!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good? Bad? Ugly? I don't care as long as you tell me!

(P.S. You might have to double click.)